Friday, December 18, 2009

What are the side effects of cortisone cream for a baby with severe facial excema?

Our doctor prescribed it. Are there dangers? Ideas for us? He is being breastfed.





We have tried:


Aloe juice


Internal and external acidophilous


Changing Mama's diet


Limiting exposure to heat


Etc., etc.What are the side effects of cortisone cream for a baby with severe facial excema?
It can make your child's skin thinner over the years if it is chronic excma. Only put it on the baby's face when you really have to. Lavender in a cool compress and wet dressings works wonders. My son is now 14 and has excma since birth. Allergic to the envorinment. He is happy. When he has a break out he uses cortisone still sparingly. Lots of moistourisers, Non fragrant, sorbelene/glycerine. and wet wraps with QV oil.What are the side effects of cortisone cream for a baby with severe facial excema?
Never assume that a drug cannot hurt someone, especially a cortisone/steroid just cause a doc prescribes it or others recommend it(they can!@). One never knows how each person, especially a baby will react to a drug or even an herb. And especially don't go running to drugs until you know what it is...including anti-histimines. As many others have said, it is probably an allergy. Hives, eczema, psorisis, rashes and gastrointestinal issues like colic, gas and belly swelling for young children is often due to allergies or sensitivties. Unfortunately very common!


Your wife still might be ingesting something that could be bothering the baby.


Keep doing probiotics. They are essential for maintaining the healthy floral bacteria in the gut which keeps the so-called good solider bacteria up and the bad bacteria down...and prevents yeast infections and an inflamed gut wall. It also keeps your immune system running strong and prevents any further irritation from occuring as a result of destroyed floral bacteria in the gut due to anti-biotics or excessive sugar/refined foods.





If you have eliminated some foods, it could be others you haven't thought of. Dairy, wheat/gluten(rye/spelt/kamut), nuts, citrus fruits including strawberries, tomatoes or other deadly nightshade family foods like eggplant and peppers are some of the main allergens. But it could also be soy, meats, corn, sugar, wine, beer, coffee, some herb you are taking and so on....take an inventory of your diet to see everything you are eating. Then go down the list and find the most neutral things you can eat that won't irritate the baby. This is called an elimination diet which can be used to ferret out allergies and other issues.





The only way to know is for your wife to go on a totally clean diet. Chicken and rice....or chicken and one veggie, or one veggie you know they don't react to, something mild(squash, carrots, sweet potato, cauliflower...) and rice...for a week or so. And eliminate drinks like chai, beer, coffee, wine or stuff like that...etc.. Water is best..If there are no reactions to anything they are eating, try adding ONE new mellow( like pears or bananas or quinoa) food per two days and see if there is a reaction. But keep the foods limited and keep track of them so you both know what is going on completely and can record any symptom. It requires patience and love and total dedication from the mother and total support from pops...and it sounds like you are both loving parents very willing to do this.





Most basic health problems can be solved with cleaning up the toxins or irritants in our diets. From there, there are many natural solutions before one goes to drugs. As far as specific side effects on steriods, go online and look up steroid cream + side effects and you will get hits. Steroids can destroy the immune system, the natural method for the body to fight something and have other side effects as well anti-histimines can be stimulants not safe for children despite companies selling it for them.


You can also get the child tested for allergies with the ELISA test or a good comprehensive allergy test(research). Look into Omega 3 fatty acid oils(fish oil/flax oil) for support on a cellular level as well as with the prostaglandins hormones responsible for pain and inflammatory responses, zinc for proper fatty acid metabolism and immune support, and foods rich in flavonoids(once you know which ones don't hurt) help the body address excess histimine responses(natural anti-histimines): blueberries, blackberries, broccoli, cantaloupe, cherries, black currants, grapes, plums, grape seed extract and quercitin. Of course research before trying anything!!


Good luck!
May I suggest you look at the products at http://www.mountainroseherbs.com





They might be able to help you.





Also ask your doctor about a product called Synalar (sp?) That is what my momma used on me when I was a baby. I had severe ecxema until my late teens.





Also anything by Burt's Bees would be worth a try.





Good Luck.
This is just from my personal experience. I've had severe excema over 98% of my body since I was born. The doctors tried everything for me to try and help with it, but I still have it. When I was about 3 my doctor prescribed cortisone cream for me. Now, I don't remember much from when I was 3, but I can remember this cream like I used it yesterday. It burned my skin so bad that I could not stand it. If I smell cortinsone now, it still makes me burn and I can remember putting it on like you wouldn't believe.





I have a severe skin allergy and I can't use any creams or anything like that or I will have a severe reaction. With every cream I have tried, including cortisone, it feels like I have put my skin into a fire, that is how bad it burns my skin. I've had it so bad that I can't even wash off the cream to help it, the only thing that works is wrapping my hand in cold towels to help. In the winter my hands get so dried and cracked that they will bleed if I just move my fingers, but I can't use cream to help them, so it is kind of a bad situation.





The only thing I would recommend is trying a very, very small amount of cream in a small area, it's best to try something like the palm of the hand of the feet where you are less likely to have a severe reaction. Then see how they react to it to see if you should keep using it.
It won't hurt the baby at all. However, excema is USUALLY an allergy. See about getting an antihistamine for the child. It could be any number of things she/he comes in contact with, including perfumes and laundry detergents.
Here is a very good article on it.





http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081800鈥?/a>
It won't hurt the baby, in fact my son had excema all over his poor cheeks and head, and the cream was the only thing that seemed to clear it up. But it will dry out their skin so I suggest lots of baby lotion. Don't use anything perfumed.
I know this isn't going to sound like a great idea and kind of gross, but you might want to try some vaginal cream for itching on the your poor little baby's face, it wont dry out the skin in fact it contains vit E, it will moisturize it and it has some what of a numbing effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment