Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My new dog has a flea allergy problem, can I use a cortizone cream?

Some one gave me an older Chihuahua and he has an obvious flea allergy, so I bathed him in an Oatmeal bath to soothe him and kill the fleas that were there. I can't get an appointment with my Vet for 2 weeks and he's chewing himself raw even though he NO fleas now, I feel so bad for him. Can I buy something to easy the itching until I get him to a Vet? He has advantage on now, but he's still chewing and wont let himself heal up. Is Cortizone Cream harmful to him?My new dog has a flea allergy problem, can I use a cortizone cream?
You can use brewers yeast and garlic in the dogs food to help repel the fleas. Grate a clove or two into the dogs' food. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of brewers yeast on the food.


You can try aloe vera on the raw spots.My new dog has a flea allergy problem, can I use a cortizone cream?
Get an e-collar to stop him from chewing himself.





'; Applying an antiseptic may be all that's needed to stop the discomfort caused by an insect bite. A thin coat of Cortisone cream could calm the itch of an allergic rash. Use a mild astringent to help dry irritated skin in warm, moist areas...If medication does not provide quick relief... if licking and scratching continue, using an Elizabethan Collar (E-Collar might be the best way to prevent additional skin mutilation by the distressed dog.';
Cortizone cream is typically more of a localized medication. While yes, you could use this on your dog, you need to make sure your dog does not lick it. I would, instead, try diphenhydramine (aka benadryl allergy - not sinus/allergy). Call your vet clinic for the proper dosing. This is a great way to reduce the irritation of the skin and stop the itching.





Diphenhydramine works well in combination with omega 3 fatty acid supplements, but I suggest a product like Derm Caps which is a linoleic acid supplement that supplements one of the natural essential fatty acids utalized by dogs.





I also suggest a product called Comfortis which is the first FDA approved oral flea preventative. It starts working in 4 hours and lasts for 30 days and comes as a beef flavor tablet. It can replace your monthly topical flea prevention. I have seen amazing differences in canines with flea allergies on Comfortis and I highly recomend it. A local veterinarian may carry this product, just know it is new.





Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment